CONFINED SPACE AWARENESS
Workplaces with one or more confined spaces must ensure all employees working in or around the hazardous area have received Confined Space Awareness training. Workers in British Columbia are required to have comprehensive training that meets CSA standard Z1006–16 and WorkSafe BC’s Workers Compensation Act, Part 3: OHS and Occupational Health and Safety Regulation, Part 9: Confined Spaces.
This course is an introduction to the safety precautions needed in order to work in Non-IDLH hazardous environments. The course is designed to create awareness of confined space hazards, precautions, and applicable regulations and guidelines. This course is a pre-requisite for Level 2 – Confined Space Entry
Anyone working in and around a confined space (Non-IDLH)
Maximum 12 students per class
Each participant will be instructed in accordance with CSA standards, WorkSafe BC and Federal Regulations.
THE FOLLOWING TOPICS WILL BE COVERED IN THIS COURSE:
- Federal and Provincial Legislation
- CSA related codes and standards
- Employer, supervisor and worker responsibilities
- Confined Spaces Overview
- Characteristics and hazard types
- Introduction to Confined Space Entry
- Communications and Equipment
- Air Monitoring Equipment: Care and use
- Hazardous atmospheres, physical hazards and hazard ratings
- Ventilation: Use and limitations
Upon conclusion of the course, participants will have; developed a comprehensive understanding of the above topics, participated in group discussions and exercises and observed a demonstration in the safe use and care of an atmosphere monitor and the inspection of safety equipment.
A Record of Training (ROT) certificate will be issued upon successful completion of the course. Certificates for Confined Space Awareness training is valid for 3 years.
Federal – Canada Labour Code Part 2: Occupational Health and Safety
Provincial – WorkSafe BC applicable Regulations, Policies and Guidelines relating to the: Workers Compensation Act:
Part 3 – OHS and Occupational Health & Safety Regulation:Part 9: Confined Spaces
CSA Standard Z1006-16 Management of Work in Confined Spaces
ATTENTION HEALTH AND SAFETY ADVISORS/EMPLOYERS:
WorkSafe BC requires Supervisors be responsible to ensure all workers are:
• Adequately trained and certified
• Provide direct supervision and correct unsafe acts/conditions
• Ensure only authorized, adequately trained workers work in or around confined spaces
• Maintain health & safety standards
WorkSafe BC requires all personnel working in or around a confined space to be adequately trained and
provide proof of training issued by a qualified instructor.